Jilin University, founded in 1946, is a national key comprehensive university under the direct administration of Ministry of Education in China, and among the first batch of “Project 985” and “Project 211” key universities. In 2017, it was rated as one of the first group of A-level “Double First Class” universities. In 2022, six disciplines were listed in the second-round selection of “Double First Class” universities and disciplines.
Jilin University offers a wide range of disciplines, and a complete talent training system with bachelor, master and doctoral programs. It has nurtured over 600,000 alumni worldwide and the quality of high-level talents is widely recognized by both international and domestic communities. With a focus on the goal of “Double First Class Initiative”, the university has continuously optimized its global cooperation network by establishing partnerships with 302 universities and research institutions in 40 countries and regions.
The legal education and research of Jilin University started in 1948. After 70 years of endeavor, Jilin University School of Law has become a leading base of Chinese legal education and legal personnel training, a think tank for developing the rule of law in China, and a key institution for inheriting and communicating legal civilization. Jilin University School of Law is one of the first schools to offer “the Master of Laws (International lawyer) and the Master of Laws (International Arbitration)” programs.
The Northeast Asia Legal Talents Program of JLU aims to promote the national legal system, strengthen the high-level international talent pool, develop youth talents for China’s neighboring developing countries further improve the legal environment for economic cooperation in northeast Asia, and enhance communication among jurisprudence and legal communities in Northeastern Asian countries. This program aims to lay a foundation for developing a talent pool of attorneys, civil servants, and personnel for international organizations with solid legal expertise, an international perspective,, a profound knowledge of international rules and laws, and specialized skills in dealing with Northeast Asia legal affairs.
I. Program Overview
1. Level: Master
2. Language of Instruction: English
3. Major: Laws (non-Jurisprudence) and Laws (Jurisprudence)
4. Training and Funding Duration:
This is a one-year (12-month) master program.
In one academic year, students are required to complete full-time basic courses, thesis’ writing, appraisal and defense at school. When qualified, they can get the degree.
II. Entry Requirements
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens under the age of 45 and healthy both physically and psychologically.
2. Applicants should hold a bachelor degree or above and have more than three years’ working experience; Related education or working experience ispreferred.
3. Applicants should fall in one of the following four categories:
(1) governmental officials at or above the department level (or equivalent) in their home country;
(2) senior executives in institutions or enterprises;
(3) administrative staff in universities or research institutes;
(4) personnel with work or internship experience in international organizations.
III. Scholarship Coverage
It covers tuition fees, accommodation on campus, living expenses and comprehensive medical insurance in China.
IV. Training Scheme and Features
(1) Training Mode
1. Jilin University is a comprehensive university located in the center of Northeast Asia. By making use of its geographic and discipline advantages, the School of law offers differentiated “Law + International relations” curriculum designed specially for Northeast Asia legal talents cultivation in order to serve the Belt and Road Initiative and economic and trade cooperation in Northeast Asia.
2. The program is mainly taught. Combining knowledge education, value education with ability education, it inspires and shapes the values of students through every course it offers.
3. With an emphasis on practical teaching, the program develops students’ competence of applying theories into practice.
4. Centering on communication and expression, the program focuses on developing students’ ability of legal negotiation and legal writing.
5. A supervisor group has been developed, and a combination of teaching methods including group training and the supervisor system is adopted. The supervisor group is formed mainly by professors and associate professors who are qualified to supervise postgraduate students, and senior attorneys in international legal departments.
6. A double-supervisor system both on and off campus is adopted. The program employs experts who have practiced international law as part-time supervisors to train Northeast Asia legal talents.
7. Various ways are employed to develop legal professional ethics and competence of students.
(2) Credit Requirements
The credit system is implemented, with at least a total of 32 credits (including thesis).
(3) Curriculum setting (no less than 26 credits)
The curriculum includes compulsory courses and special modules.
1.Compulsory courses (10 credits)
(1) Legal Professional Ethics (2 credits)
(2) International Relations and International Law (2 credits)
(3) Principles and Practices of Private International Law (2 credits)
(4) Principles and Practices of International Economic Law (2 credits)
(5) Principles and Practices of International Commercial Law (2 credits)
Compulsory courses are taught at school, mainly by faculty members in the first academic year.
2. Special Modules (no less than 16 credits)
(1) Specialized modules (no less than 8 credits): Comparative Civil and Commercial Law (2 credits), Contract Law (2 credits), Securities Law (2 credits), Corporate Law (2 credits), International Arbitration Rules (2 credits), Practice of International Financing Law (2 credits)
(2) Professional modules (no less than 8 credits): International Compliance Law Practice (2 credits), Northeast Asia Trade Policy and Trade Legislation (2 credits), Transnational M&A Law Practice (2 credits), Transnational Bankruptcy Law Practice (2 credits), International Competition Law (2 credits), International Investment Arbitration Law Practice (2 credits)；Modules are mainly taught by faculty members and off-campus experts in legal practice, who independently or collectively engage in no less than 50% of class hours.
(4) Practical Teaching and Training (5 credits)
1. Legal Document Writing (1 credit)
2. Law Search (1 credit)
3. Moot Court, Moot Arbitration, and Moot Mediation (organized by faculty members and attended by off-campus experts with foreign legal practice experience) (2 credits)
4. Legal Negotiation (1 credit)
(5) Thesis (5 credits)
1. Topic Selection
Thesis topics should link theories with practice, and the content should be application-driven, relating to practical problems and legal practice and reflecting students’ ability of applying theories and knowledge to legal practice. Thesis should be legal practice research, either project design, case study, research report, or specific survey written in the form of an academic paper.
2. Requirements for Thesis Writing
Student may only apply for thesis defense upon the supervisor’s approval.
Thesis writing should meet the following requirements:
(1) Having theoretical and practical significance and a proper title ;
(2) Reviewing and summarizing the existing research or practice of the topic.
(3) Having strong arguments, logical warrant and sufficient materials;
(4) Reflecting the problem-posing awareness and comprehensive research methods of the author.
(5) Meeting the content and format requirements for thesis writing, with the main body part no less than 15,000 words.
V. Application and Enrollment Review Process
Step 1: Applicants should submit applications online at the International Student Service System of Jilin University. Applicants may submit application materials (please see the attachment for details of the requirements) before April 1st, 2023, including the passport’s first page, notarized latest diploma, academic transcripts, language proficiency certificates, a proposal of study in China, recommendation letter(s), and the Foreigner Physical Examination Form, Certificate of No Criminal Record, research results, etc.
Applicants should create an account at the Jilin University International Student Service System (http://apply.jlu.edu.cn), fill in the personal information accurately and click “Submit” to complete the online application. Admission for this year is conducted online, so applicants should ensure that the documents submitted online are consistent with the originals. Applicants may only enter the next round of review when their materials are submitted in full.
Step 2: Preliminary Examination by the College of International Education
Before April 3rd, 2023, the College of International Education will review the qualifications of the applicants according to enrollment requirements, focusing on academic background, language proficiency, identity qualifications, health status, etc., and consult the corresponding teaching and training units for further review.
Step 3: Further review by JLU department, remote interview/written examination
Before April 17, 2023, the teaching and training units will organize experts to conduct a further review, focusing on the applicants’ academic performance, research capability, language proficiency, academic background, comprehensive quality and potential. Eligible candidates will be selected for remote interview or written examination, and the results will be submitted back to the College of International Education.
Step 4: Submission of Application via the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System
Before April 20, 2023, the university will inform applicants of the pre-admission results and issue pre-admission notice through email or the International Student Service System. Applicants should apply for the scholarship in the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System before April 29, 2023. （http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/login）
Step 5: Expert Review by China Scholarship Council
China Scholarship Council will organize experts of related disciplines to conduct review, focusing on the applicants’ academic performance, comprehensive quality and potential. The scholarship will be awarded on merit. Ineligible applicants for the scholarship will be preferred if they are willing to apply for self-supporting program of JLU.
Step 6: Admission Notice
The College of International Education of Jilin University will inform students of the admission results.
1. The admitted students should go through registration procedures in strict accordance with the time specified by the university. Otherwise, the scholarship qualification will not be reserved. The school will start at September 2023.
2. Those who are disqualified for the qualification review will be canceled for the scholarship.
3. If you have questions for application, please visit the website of College of International Education of Jilin University (https://cie.jlu.edu.cn/info/1060/3133.htm)
VI. Deadline for Application
April 1st, 2023
1. Applicants of the Youth of Excellence Scheme of China Program Chinese Government Scholarship should not apply for other Chinese government scholarships at the same time.
2. Recipients of Chinese government scholarships should not be funded by other government scholarships at different levels or university scholarships. Otherwise, their qualification for Chinese government scholarship will be canceled and they should return the scholarship received. For students who deliberately conceal their funding situation, apart from being disqualified, they will be forbidden to apply for the Chinese government scholarship within three years.
3. Applicants who have applied for other universities via the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System should not also apply for Jilin University.
4. Once scholarship recipients are admitted, they may not change their major, duration of study, and language of instruction.
5. After school entry, scholarship students must participate in the annual evaluation, the results of which will determine whether their scholarship is continued, suspended, or canceled in the next academic year.
International Student Admissions Office of College of International Education, Jilin University
Address: Room 216, Youyi Guest House, Jilin University, No.1505 Xiuzheng Road, Changchun, Jilin Province, China
Post Code: 130012
Attachment: List of Application Materials for the Youth of Excellence Scheme of China Program Chinese Government Scholarship
List of Application Materials for the Youth of Excellence Scheme of China Program Chinese Government Scholarship
1. Personal information page of the Passport. Please renew your passport if the validity period does not meet the requirements (the passport should be valid after September 2023).
2. Notarized Highest Degree Certificate. For applicants who are currently students, they should submit an expected graduation certificate issued by their university and submit their diploma or degree certificate before June 30, 2023. If the graduation certificate, degree certificate, and transcript are in languages other than Chinese or English, a notarized English translation must be provided.
3.Transcripts (since the undergraduate year). Scanned transcripts should include academic achievement since the undergraduate year and be stamped by the office of academic affairs or student affairs’ division. Transcripts should be in Chinese or English. If the transcripts are in languages other than English, an notarized English translation should be provided.
4. Language proficiency certificates. Applicants should provide internationally accepted English level certificates, such as IELTS or TOEFL.
5. Proposal of study in China. A Chinese or English study proposal (more than 1000 words) should be submitted, which should focus on the following aspects: applicants’ professional background, academic ability, strengths, future research directions, and learning plans, etc. The proposal should be written in Chinese or English, and will serve as an important reference for expert review.
6. Recommendation letters. Recommendation letters by two professors or associate professors should be submitted which focus on the study goals of applicants in China, cooperation between Chinese and foreign institutions or tutors, intercollegiate exchanges, as well as the evaluation of applicants’ comprehensive ability and future development. The recommendation letters should be written in Chinese or English, with the professor’s signatures and contact information.
7. Physical Examination Form for Foreigners (printed by the Chinese health and quarantine authority and filled out in English). Applicants should be examined in strict accordance with the items required in the Physical Examination Form for Foreigners. The Physical Examination Form for Foreigners is invalid if it misses certain items, photo, seal on the photo, signature by the doctor, or seal by the hospital. The validity period of examination results is 6 months.
8. Certificate of No Criminal Record. Applicants should submit a Certificate of No Criminal Record issued by the local public security organ within the validity period, usually within six months, before the date of submission of the application.
9. Research results (if any). Graduation thesis abstract and instructor profile in the previous learning stage; copies of the cover, catalog, and all pages of previous publications; supporting materials such as academic and research achievements, inventions, and patents.
10. Employment certificate. An on-the-job certificate signed and sealed by the employer should be submitted, which should include the applicant's personal information, working years, and current position. The current position of applicants should meet the requirements in the Enrollment Guide.
1. Materials uploaded via the system should be clear, authentic and valid. Applicants are advised to use professional equipment to scan relevant documents to be submitted. Consequences caused by unclear or unidentifiable materials should be borne by the applicants themselves.
2. Students are required to take the above original documents for verification when they register to consolidate their qualification for admission.